Friday, April 19, 2013

Raspberry and Almond Streamliner Cake

~We got a new toy.... a GoPro camera.  We use it for our off-roading but I thought what the hey why not try using it for my blog.  Hubster set up the camera on my counter before I started on the custard and away I went.  Well it worked ok.  Not great and I think my other camera works for this better.  I know that so many think that a blog is all about the pictures but I am not a photographer.  I am a chef that will type up my creations to share with y'all and add some hopefully decent pictures.~



The April choice for the Cake Slice Bakers is the Lemon and Almond Streamliner Cake from Vintage Cakes.  My son DJ is not a citrus lover so I asked what berry he would like and he picked raspberry. Snap of the fingers and we do raspberry!  

But I get ahead of myself.... One ingredient called for in this recipe is almond paste.  Having used the store bought almond paste once before I wanted to try making my own almond paste.  It is really simple to make if you have a food processor.

Measure in your almonds then send it for a grind.




Add in your sugar, egg white and any flavoring you would like to add.




Process until it smooths out into a paste.




My recipe made enough for the cake plus extra.  I stored the rest in 2 ounce bags for future use.




Next up making a raspberry puree to replace the lemon in our custard.  I put the thawed raspberries into the blender - didn't want the food processor to have all the fun - and gave it a whirl.



Put it into a strainer and worked through the puree, leaving behind a lot of seeds.


I simmered the seedless puree for about 5 minutes then set aside so the puree could cool.
Time to make the custard.  This is a pretty standard custard.  It needs to be made a few hours prior to use so keep that in mind before making this cake.
Whisk together your egg yolks, sugar, raspberry puree and corn starch.  Heat your milk and slowing whisk together then cook over low heat until thick and bubbling.  Strain the custard and then whisk in your butter piece by piece.  Save your butter wrapper!!


 Cover the custard with plastic wrap, laid directly on top, refrigerate at least two hours before using.


Move onto making the cake.  A simple buttermilk single layer cake with the additional of almond paste.
Prepare your pan .... use the wrapper from your butter cube that you saved to butter your pan.  Fold your parchment paper while thinking about making paper snowflakes as a child (or a couple of weeks ago) and cut your circle to fit into the bottom of your pan.  Rub it down a bit then flip it over and set it.




Cream together the butter, sugar and almond paste.  Once this is relatively smooth, there will be bits of the paste throughout, add in your eggs and vanilla.  

In a separate bowl sift/whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.  Measure out your buttermilk.   Mix in your dry ingredients and the buttermilk, alternating until just mixed.  Using your spatula scrape down the sides and give it a final mix.



Pour into your prepared pan, smack it onto your counter a couple of times to release any large air bubbles and bake it.  


Once out of the oven allow to cool in the pan for 30 minutes then turn out onto a rack until completely cool, leaving the parchment on.  

 
When you are ready to top it with your custard remove the parchment - 
yes I am saying this because somewhere out there one of us - not me! - will plop that custard right down onto the parchment.



Give the sides a quick coat of the custard to help seal the edges.  The top with the remaining custard.



There you have it!  Ready to serve.  



If you don't serve it right away be sure to refrigerate the cake until you do so.


Lemon Raspberry and Almond Streamliner Cake adapted from the recipe found in the cookbook Vintage Cakes.

The recipe can be found online in several spots including on Oprah's site.



Almond Paste
by My Sister's Table

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups blanched almonds
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 large egg whites, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
a pinch of sea salt

Directions
Pour almonds into the food processor and process until finely ground.
Add the sugar and pulse a couple of times.  Whisk together the egg white, vanilla, and salt.  With the processor running pout the egg mixture onto the almonds and process until a smooth paste forms. 

Use the paste right away or place in a an air tight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.  Bring to room temperature before use.  If you decide to freeze the paste it may become a bit crumbly but will work fine once back to room temperature.


Printable recipe here.






*Side note - if I make the custard this way again I think I may add a drop of red food coloring to it to brighten the color.  It turned out of but a bit flat looking.

The cake was smooth with a nice fine crumb that we have come to expect from the buttermilk cake.  The almond would make a nice complement to the lemon.  We were split on whether the raspberry went with it - we all liked the cake and we liked the raspberry custard but not necessarily together.  
I say fine for them!  More cake for me! *wink*


Enjoy!

Visit the other Cake Slice Bakers here.
The CSBs are now on Facebook ~ check them out here and be sure to 'like' the page.

:)

11 comments:

  1. Love your cake. Raspberry topping is great too! Love our homemade almond paste!

    I used the non-egg white version and I do have enough for a second bake of this cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it that you made your own almond paste! Next time I use almond paste I will definitely make my own! Your cake looks yummy! I am sorry the raspberry custard / almond cake didn't please everyone... I am glad you did get to enjoy it though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cake looks great! I love that you made your own almond paste and that you subbed out the lemon for raspberry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Switching to a raspberry topping was a nice touch. And I didn't get a chance to make my own almond paste, but it certainly looks easy enough. I'll have to try it some time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm! I love the addition of raspberry- beautiful with the lemon and buttermilk. I bet it smelled wonderful! :)

    Joy @ Yesterfood

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never would have expected that raspberry custard will be an alternative for this lemon custard but now I know :) I like the way you show how the almond paste can be home made. It's good to know that we all enjoyed this bake together :):)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm loving your twist on this cake. That's the great thing about recipes, you can adapt it to your own taste, and i'm sure the raspberries added a lovely dimension to the cake :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love lemon desserts, but this custard was way too tart for me, not the best I've had. I'm glad you went with a different flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks gals! This one was a good one to make. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea of using raspberries for the custard on this cake - it looks delicious. Next time I will have to try making my own almond paste too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love your switch to raspberries! My sons are not citrus lovers either. I wish I had thought to switch up the custard for them but then again...I wanted lemon! Beautiful cake and kudos on the home made almond paste, too! : )

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by my blog and even more for posting a comment! :)