Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Glazed Almond Butter Cake

What time is it?!  It's Cake Slice Bakers time! 
*imagine the lights swooping back and forth and the trumpets sounding off*


Sounding a bit enthusiastic this month, you are thinking huh?
Well I am going to spoil the ending for you now - we really liked this cake!
With that out of the way let's get down to business.


The Cake Slice Bakers bake from one cake cookbook each year.  Each month we are offered three or four choices from the book.  The current cookbook is Great Cakes by Carole Walter.   Our choices this month were Glazed Almond Butter Cake, Burnished Sugar layer cake, Pineapple cheese squares and Black Forest Cherry Torte.  I really wanted to make the BFCT but ran out of time.  I do have the key ingredients and still plan to make it in the future.  But this month's cake choice is the Glazed Almond Butter Cake.



Started off by lining my pan and melting the butter so it has a chance to cool just a bit.
Thought I was being so smart lining the bottom.  Ummm.... yeah.  Getting the slices off later was a pain.  Just spray or butter the bottom if using a springform for this cake.



One thing you need to do when a recipe calls for your eggs to get a good beating is to make sure you beat them enough.  They should be a pale yellow and no longer look soupy.  They should be bright and shiny and look so good you want to run your finger through them and lick you finger - I wouldn't advise that though.  No really, don't.  Just beat them that much.  You need those eggs to hold that air and create a silky texture for your cake.


Ms. Walter really wants us to sprinkle in that sugar a teaspoon at a time and frankly I love the rebellious feeling I get each time I dump in that sugar and turn the mixer to medium to get the same result.... sugar the is thoroughly beaten into the eggs and no longer grainy.

Alrighty then... got the eggs and sugar all silky smooth then put together my dry ingredients.


Drizzled in half of the butter, added half of the dry ingredients, more butter and the rest of the dry.
Got the batter into my -well- lined pan and into the oven it went.


Once the cake was mostly baked it was time to put together the topping.  Butter, brown sugar and almonds are a great combination.


As soon as I mixed it up I questioned if it was enough topping.


Then when I was spreading the topping on the cake I knew it wasn't enough.  I felt that half again as much would have been the perfect amount ~ next time we will know huh?


Back into the oven for another ten minutes to finish it off.


We let the cake cool for a couple of hours then out of the pan and ready to be served.



The cake cut so nicely and the texture was smooth with a velvety crumb.  We had my parents over for dinner that night and everyone enjoyed the cake.


This one will go into the keep folder. Yay!

Check out all of The Cake Slice Bakers @ the blogroll, the links below & like us on Facebook.









Enjoy!

:)

6 comments:

  1. Oh wow! love your step-by-step tutorial!! Yay, glad this work out good for everyone at home!!

    PS: we do have 7 days including 20.7.14 for baking and posting, so we should see a BFCT from you soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I wish I could get it it that quick but we won't have power for the next four days so no baking until next week. But hopefully after that. :)

      Delete
  2. Holly, I'm so glad you enjoyed your cake it looks lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holly I have been wanting to make this cake all week! It looks like a success among our bakers! And now after looking at yours my mouth just waters!
    Hurry up and make the Bkack Forest it was heavenly! I added two tablespoons of sugar to my filling, I thought it needed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really dislike almonds but strangley, I did like this cake. I am glad you did too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL You are a sugar rebel...The cake and topping are indeed sure-fire recipes =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by my blog and even more for posting a comment! :)